Baroque front
of the Froissard mansion house







Super altar in the chapel at the Orphanage (17th C)















The Hôtel Dieu and the Ladies of ounans convent

 




 
The Charity convent (now part of Nodier highschool)
Built between 1700 and 1760 this institution used to shelter the pooor and the orphans.



The "Visitation" convent cloister


The Hôtel Dieu by night

And on the left bank of the Doubs river, beyond the Norman Bridge :


A rose-window at the Hospital of the Holy Spirit (16th C)
Contemporary stained glass.
A fine example of admirable restoration by the present owner.
Photos Dubuc ©.





The cloister at the Minim convent (17th C)


Push the gates open and here they are
offered to the passers by.

One of the architectural characteristics of Dole is the great number of staircases dating from the 17th and 18th centuries. Whether they are still ouside or already inside buildings, from the most humble one in wood to the most elaborate one in marble from Sampans and wrought iron, they are all very beautiful and sometimes offer quite surprising technical innovations which are due either to the diminutive room or to the wish to make the life of ill or disabled persons easier as it appears at the Hôtel Dieu where the steps have been worked out so as to make it easier and easier as one climbs them up.
.




The Champagney mansion house




The Froissard mansion house :
twin stairs so as to let the horse-drawn cabs
ride in and out


Tricalet de Taxenne mansion house


Rue des Arènes


Rue de Besançon


Rue du Collège

Stairs in wood in rue des Arènes

 

 

Staircase in the Hôtel Dieu


The Charity convent entrance (18th c)






Staircases in rue de Besançon (17th C)



Rare helicoidal stairs (15th C) rue de Besançon






Staircase at the Hôtel Dieu






Citeaux mansion house







The law courts

 





Back to home page